Thursday, April 26, 2007

Freedom in America

Hey, had a few seconds so I decided to post this today. Another opinion paragraph... as usualy ready to hear opinions, questions, comments, complains, offers of marriage (long story... inside joke). I wrote it two days ago, but the point it makes is timeless:

On 4/23/07, another religious symbol was added to the list of symbols a military man (or woman) can have on their grave. It was the Wicca pentacle. For me it brought to mind all of the freedoms that this country has regulated. Why can’t somebody put whatever symbol they want on their grave? Especially someone from the armed forces- they gave up their life for you… show some RESPECT. Some of the other things we have regulated are abortion and gay marriage- big issues today.
On abortion, I am pro-choice. I don’t think the government should have any say in the matter, unless it’s threatening the nation. I believe people make mistakes, and we end up with babies that weren’t really… planned on. A lot of the time these babies end up being born and neglected because the mother is not emotionally and financially sound enough to handle a child. The question on this you have to ask you self is: Do I think it is worse to kill a child before it is born and has never seen the world, or let it live with parent(s) that can’t take care of it and let it become a child criminal or get killed needlessly? What ever you think, I believe that it is the mother’s choice. Not the father’s… not the boyfriend’s … not the government’s. We should be free to choose.
The other biggie, gay rights, is harder decided on. I think people should be free to love each other… even if they are interested in their own gender. Don’t get me wrong… I don’t think its right, but that’s my opinion… other people have different ones, but gays and lesbians should choose for themselves.
I know that America is a very free country compared to others, but we could do better. The US has always prided it’s self on being a melting pot of different cultures, religion, ect, but our laws don’t always let everyone in the melting pot do what they believe in. If we are going to be a place where everyone is free, we should be allowed to express ourselves and our opinions freely, and do what we ourselves think is right, not what the people on top of Capitol Hill think.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i disagree strongly. If the woman in her first or second trimester is killed, the person is charged with two counts of murder/manslaughter. however we allow abortions during that same time. Its just legalized murder. as far as gay rights, i think that they should not be allowed to marry. its a sacred thing, defined by God. Its wrong, rather disgusting, and amoral.

Pure.Ash said...

I can see where you're coming from, however. I live in a place where teen pregancy and poverty are both big issues. And with that comes all of these unwanted kids (and believe me, they are unwanted) who starve, get into drugs (you know you have a problem when 8 year olds smoke pot), or get involved in gangs. And I see little starving kids who have 16 year old moms- who are going to die or get beaten and if they were killed before they were born they would’ve never known that pain and suffering. It’s a really tough topic for me, because the thought of killing anything irks me, but although in that situation I would probably not choose to abort, but I think women should get that choice- for the child’s sake.
And on gay rights- I don’t understand these people’s thought processes, but I know if I was in that situation I would want someone to try and understand me, and let me be myself. And the thing about what you are saying is that not all people believe what you believe in- spiritually I mean. I totally agree with you when you say that it’s disgusting and amoral, but not everybody does, and the main point I was trying to get across was that we need to have rights that stretch across everyone’s beliefs, especially here in America, because we are this huge patchwork quilt of people from everywhere with different lifestyles and views. You and I may believe in one thing, but somebody else believes just as strongly in something else, and I think that everyone needs to respect those differences.

Anonymous said...

Au-Contraire:
We are built on Christian principles, and we need to stand on them.

If you dont have the guts to stand up for truth, then you better find a darn good lie.

Pure.Ash said...

I know, but think if you were in a place where, umm... say Islam was the major religion, and people were trying to force you to live by the Koran. You would stand for your beliefs (hopefully)- well, that is simply what these other people are doing. And I can respect that- even if I don’t believe what they do, I’m not going to go and force my opinions on them (just think if someone tried to do that to you). I think you should make the fact that you don’t agree clear and give them the option to come around to your view, but not force them to do so. If they’re still defiant after the part where you mention that you will eternally burn or be punished or something of that nature, they must really believe in whatever it is.
That’s my problem… I’m too empathetic. I can relate to the other side of the argument too well. Oh well, I’ll live.

Anonymous said...

Im not forcing my opinion on anyone. Im standing up for what i believe in as much as they are. I just think that our politicians are playing party line crap, and not public opinion as they should. Last poll i saw, public opinion said that abortion should be illegal.

id like to again refer to the double standard i mentioned in my first comment: "If the woman in her first or second trimester is killed, the person is charged with two counts of murder/manslaughter. however we allow abortions during that same time."

Its just a popularity contest in the political field. Why do we do that? what if the woman was planning on having an abortion? again: its just legalized murder.

Pure.Ash said...

Up on capital hill, it is just a popularity contest- which is a shame. But down here there are people who really care (if not, I'd be doing something else right now). Abortion is legalized murder- kind of. It's more like a mercy killing… kind of, sort of…. In a way. Often times, these kids aren’t wanted by their parents, and their parents aren’t ready emotionally, or financially, for the responsibilities of being a parent. And when these people aren’t ready, they get stressed and make bad parenting decisions (beating their kids, neglecting them, ect.).
Would you rather grow up being beaten and unwanted or would you rather just not know what’s there? These unborn embryos have never seen the world, - the possibilities or the cruelty. I think that to take a child that will be more than likely abused and let them get into that situation is cruel.
If the parent is sound and wants the child, they will choose not to abort. Abortion is not something you should do if you don’t have to- it’s not for your convienice, if for the child. There are probably too many abortions, and we need a way to regulate them (I don’t think making them illegal is the answer).
Maybe we’re (and those in the government) focusing on the wrong issue here. Maybe instead of arguing over this, we should be out trying to stop all these women from being pregnant with babies who will be aborted. Abortion is a horrible thing, it is killing something with the potential to live, but when I think about the life that most of those children would lead, I come up with a different perspective.